Friday 18 August 2017

Final preparations for Windermere


The last twenty weeks have been pretty much full with non-stop swimming/training/ driving to venues etcetera, and so with one week to go till my Windermere one way swim, according to my plan, I will only be doing two short pool swims. I initially wasn't too sure how I would feel about having some spare time on my hands, it felt like I was being lazy, however there is actually lots to do.

Firstly I need to think carefully about my diet, and what I'm going to eat this week. A quick look on the internet revealed that there are various suggestions on how soon to start carb loading before a long swim, and as I couldn't find a one size fits all, decided to stop looking and just go with all week- I don't want to accused of scrimping on my carbs this week, and that way I most definitely will have had plenty. I have only two, very much tried and tested (and actually edible), pasta meals in my cooking repetroir - Bolognese and carbonara. They are both eaten by my family regularly, without complaint, however I'm not sure they would tolerate the two dishes on repeat for the whole week, which means that I spent a morning trying to find recipes that suit everyone's tastes, not easy, so resorted to choosing what I like and I'll be telling them to pick out the bits they don't want (great parenting demonstrated right there!).

Over the last couple of months, whilst my swims have been increasingly getting longer, I have they have pretty much been living on yesterday's leftovers and ready meals for four nights a week. Always served with an apology of course, and a promise that it will only be till my swim is done, and then normal services will resume, to which they suggested (rather tentatively) that when the swim is done they should like to continue with this arrangement. Before I had time to object, they cleverly added that they think I will miss the swimming too much. I'm on to them though. They are not thinking of me. They prefer the ready meals to my cooking, and I have provided them with the perfect opportunity. I'm stuck between being okay with it and being upset that they don't like my cooking (not too upset mind) but their "selflessness" does give me a free pass to continue my swimming...

Recipes chosen I arrive at the supermarket with a list a mile long, including some ingredients I've never even heard of, to find myself migrating to the ready meal selection. My kids are not afraid to say when they don't like something (mostly my cooking), and the risotto they always request does look quite appetising, and they do say don't change anything before a swim, and whilst I'm not sure that extends to family members and their diets, I am not prepared to risk it, and guiltlessly fill my trolley.


Another must on my list for this week has been to write a check list and gather up everything that I need to take to Windermere with me. Once gathered together I realise that it looks like I'm about to embark on at least a two week stay, rather than a couple of days. I've packed more than double food than I've trained with, and if I have a spare of anything, even things that I've never once needed before now when I've swam, they've all gone in ... just in case. I'm not too sure what kind of emergency would warrant 3 pairs of goggles, 7 ear plugs, 2 silver blankets, a peg, a sewing kit and an "I 💜New York" key ring, however will take them all regardless.



Laid out on the floor in my spare room I realise that I actually not only have to fit it all into my car, but I also have to get Shark's stuff in too. I sent her a message suggesting that we (she) travels light, however don't think she took me very seriously when she sent me a photo of all of her things laid out. I need to contact Swimyourswim to find out how big our support boat actually is for as it stands nothing smaller than a barge will do. I fear that I'll need to be telling them, in the words of Brody (Jaws) "You're gonna need a need a bigger boat!"





I hope you've enjoyed reading this blog. Ive set up a Facebook 'group' Open Water Woman where I post more regularly. Please feel free to join, alternatively I'm also on Twitter Open water woman



No comments:

Post a Comment